5.26.2008

Painted kitchen!

I finished painting the kitchen! I figured it took me about 15 hours to do, including the priming. And cost around $60 in paint and supplies. Not bad, right?? The color I ended up settling with is called "tame teal" by Sherwin Williams. I absolutely love it. It was a weird color to work with. In the can, it looked very light and almost too "cotton candy" blue. I was scared. Going on the wall, it was super light and translucent, and hard to tell what I'd painted (like the bathroom paint). But then, it dried super dark! Almost too dark! I was scared again. But, it appears to have dried and set to some sort of happy medium- *just right.* I'm very pleased. I want to spend tons of time in my kitchen now. Previously, it was probably my least favorite room in the whole house. Hopefully this will inspire me to cook more!

On to the pictures!





Next on the slate is refinishing/cleaning the cabinet hardware. They are original to the cabinets. And a fairly common atomic age design, I've learned. You can buy reproductions of this exact design on rejuvenation.com. But, stupid owners before me painted them, and they're rusted. I'm not sure what to do about the drawer pulls. I don't think they're original. I might try to find a reproduction that's more suitable to the age of the house, and also of higher quality. Then I'd also like to install some chunky white shelves in the spaces above the stove and washing machine. I could really use some storage for those spaces, and I think that would be a way to bring in more storage area without installing additional cabinets, and therefore making my teensy itty bitty kitchen feel even more like a cave.

No comments: