6.02.2008

On mortgages, insecurity, and men.

I'm a single female, in case you were unaware. I'm 25; I'll be 26 in August. I bought this house when I was 24. By myself. I had modest help from my parents- they paid off my car loan so I could better afford the monthly mortgage payment (roughly $2000, at the time), and covered the half of the closing costs I was responsible for (roughly $600). Beyond that, I did this on my own. I used first-time home-buyer assistance and down-payment assistance, and got a special FHA loan because I'm part Native American.

So now I am a single, female, 25 year old property owner. I pay all of my bills every month on my own, and haven't received monthly financial assistance from my parents since I was 20. Sometimes I wonder, how does that look to men my age?

I have a lot of friends who are getting engaged, getting married, and are even starting to have babies. Some of them have purchased homes or had homes built for them. But I don't know anyone else in my position. It seems a more natural thing, at least a more traditional thing, for a married couple, or even a cohabitating couple, to purchase a home together. And beyond that, it is *far* more traditional for a single man my age to purchase a home on his own. He meets a girl, they get married, she moves in, they make the home together. This is customary.

So what on earth does it look like to single men my age, when they know I already have my house? Does it make them feel useless? Since I don't really need their financial help? How many men does it scare away?? How many men would feel emasculated by moving into their girlfriend's, their fiance's, their wife's house, and having the mortgage and title be in her name?

I wonder. But I also know, that this is pretty much the way it has to be with me. The entire time I was with my ex (of five years), I kept one toe out of the relationship and always made sure to maintain my financial independence. We broke up, and I emerged pretty much okay. I'm not ever going to tie my financial security to a sinking ship of a relationship. So either it has to be this way, or I'll have to go into something new with a boyfriend, fiance, husband completely equally. But even the idea of doing that makes this Feminist slightly uneasy.

My ex had the tendency to make me feel like a selfish self-preservationist when I acted this way. It's just not romantic to insist that everything be divided completely equally, or that ownership be kept track of, or that new purchases which are to be enjoyed jointly in the relationship are fairly negotiated and divided. (Example: When my ex and I decided to purchase a washer and dryer for our apartment, we decided that I would buy the washer, and he would buy the dryer, instead of jointly purchasing the two appliances and splitting the cost down the middle. This way, it was clear who owned what. And when we broke up, you bet I moved that washer home with me to Oklahoma. Just one fewer appliance I had to buy when I set up my house.)

From my perspective, that's the only way a smart female can behave in a relationship today. Women start out financially behind men in most relationships, and most of the time, they finish financially behind men when the relationship is over. Add marriage and children into the equation, and the likelihood that the woman will be severely negatively financially impacted at the end of a relationship goes up even more. (And statistically, men's financial outlook improves after the end of a relationship or a divorce.) I see how this point of view could be viewed as "gaming for the end"- planning everything based on the idea that eventually, this too will fail. But does anything last forever? I don't think so.

So maybe this house really will be my boyfriend for the foreseeable future.

(P.S.- Incidentally, this blog is the sixth hit on google out of 47,000 when you search for "single female twenties homeownership.")

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more...and I'm glad that someone finally said it! I've decided that if a guy I date can't deal with that I don't NEED him financially...well..he won't be the guy that I want to have in my life. :-)

Suzy Home-Improver said...

Thanks for the comment! Do you own your house too?

Anonymous said...

unfortunately not :( Someday :-) umm..hopefully! ha

THE BRICK HOUSE said...

I bought my house all on my own. I researched how to do it, found it, qualified for the loan with a teachers assistance program at my credit union (and made sure I could afford the payments by myself - worst case scenario). EVERYTHING is in my name right down to the cable.

I'm turning 26 tomorrow and although I am still with my boyfriend of 5 years, he is essentially paying me rent. This causes a lot of tension...and I'm not sure how to resolve it.

We've always kept our finacial lives seperate,and I can't imagine combining them or combining my stuff with anyone EVER. I've worked way to hard to have good credit and low debt and to buy a house in California to gamble on someone else. And it does really feel like gambling, you just never know what will happen in 5 years..

Sorry, I've been thinking about this recently and have been dealing with the same issues brought up in your post. Although I've never prescribed to traditional gender roles when it comes to relationships, there is something weird that happens when money and boyfriends tango.

I felt very isolated in this situation, but I'm glad that there are other twenty something woman taking control of there finacial lives.

Suzy Home-Improver said...

Wow, thanks for the comment, brick! I love your blog and all the wonderfully thrifty purchases you've filled it with. Kudos to you for purchasing your home on your own, and in CA! That is *far* more impressive than little ole me in super cheap Oklahoma.

I feel very isolated all the time, too. I have plenty of friends who *know* about my situation, but I feel very few of them *understand.* Or can empathize. So it's great to find kindred souls on the internet!

min hus said...

Just chiming in to say you're not alone! I'm also a single, female home-owner in my 20s (for a few more months at least). I bought my house when I was 26. I'm very independent and am against combining finances with a guy too, at least not unless I was married.

It is rare, although I have a couple of friends in the same boat.

Buying a house alone was very scary, but at the same time, I sometimes am really proud and amazed I can do this.

My boyfriend pays rent and chips in on living expenses. It's helpful, but there has been a bit of tension at times, although it seems to be going well lately. He also helps out a LOT with projects and repairs (ok he pretty much does them), which provides a lot of piece of mind.

I just found your blog btw and wanted to say you have a pretty house and garden!

Anonymous said...

I bought my first home when it was just me and my daugther and I was 23. When I met my current husband he was tickled pink that I had jumped in and created a life for myself, and he was happy and grateful to be a part of it. I think it made him feel that he was wanted for him, not just someone who could support me and my daughter. The right guy will be thrilled with the life you've created for yourself, will happy to be part of it as an equal partner.

Really, the hardest part was giving up all the closet space!