2.27.2008

On being a good property owner.

I have just about had it with the slumlords who own the house next door to me. As I wrote about before, the renters moved out a few weeks ago. Ever since, there has been a large pile of Stuff in the alley (outdoor table, folding chairs, futon frame, charcoal grill, boxes of clothes and paper items, etc.), a pile of stuff on the side of the house (two side tables, linens, more boxes of stuff, a gallon of gasoline, a license plate that has since been stolen), and a recliner sitting in the front yard.

I called in a code violation on it over a week ago. I finally heard back from the city's Action Center, and they said they were immediately turning the violation over to the city's contractor, because they knew this homeowner would not take care of the situation himself. They typically give the property owners ten days to respond to the violation, and then the city turns the issue over to a contractor, and they have ten days to clean it up. But apparently the city's code compliance division is just SO familiar with my neighbor, that they already know it's worthless to contact him.

They own TEN houses in my neighborhood alone. They own over twenty city-wide. They paid less than $30,000 for all of them in the late 1990s, and paid as little as $5000 or $10,000 for a few of them. And they live in a $300,000 home in my city's poshest neighborhood. And he owns a prominent local event ticketing website. And he is a son of a former football coach at the University of Oklahoma. So, I just wonder if the city gives him a pass or two because he's obviously such a big wig.

I've been in contact with my city council person about this issue. Basically, I'm really, really tired of having to call code on this house. I know now that it wasn't the renters' fault, it was the property owner's fault. Starting last summer, I've called countless times. All of the complaints were over items left outside that don't belong outside. I don't understand why the city can't, somehow, further penalize the homeowner for these repeated violations. I'm also trying to pursue a "substandard housing" violation against them, because of several exterior cosmetic problems with the house. It's a slum, basically. And anyone can see that. But it's difficult to get the city to do anything about it.

I've also contacted my council person's election opponent. We're having elections for city council next week, and I thought it would only be fair to give him a chance to respond, and see what he suggested I do. I liked his response much better, and he'll be getting my vote next week. He suggested "making demands on the property owner" and "documenting the violations and then educating" the property owner "as to the financial loss he might sustain" if he continues to violate city code. Sounds good to me! I'm waiting for his response as to how exactly we go about this.

In the mean time, I've called the property owner myself. Yes. Twice. Once last week. I got the number from the For Rent sign that was in the yard. (I could also easily obtain it by googling his name.) Last week I asked very nicely when they were planning on removing the garbage, and his wife told me it would be taken care of that day. That was last Friday. I called again today and wasn't so nice. I feel bad about it, but these people are obviously jerks. I let them know that I had city council investigating what could be done, and that I would be photographing every property they own in my neighborhood to document possible claims for "substandard housing" violations. They've already rented the house out again, and have had someone over there making interior repairs for the past two days, and not one bit of garbage has been removed. I've also seen the owner's wife, the woman I spoke to, at the house twice, and she also couldn't be bothered to even put the boxes of trash in the polycart. (Also, did I mention she's driven TWO different huge, expensive SUVs to the property?) I fear they are just hoping the new renters take care of all the garbage at their new house, or maybe they think the new renters will want to use the garbage furniture that's been sitting out in the rain and elements for nearly two weeks now. That's not going to happen, because I'm fairly sure the person they've rented to is a young man in a wheelchair. Obviously they are taking advantage of low income, even *disabled* renters. (Nevermind that the house is NOT accessible, as every entrance point is accessed via STAIRS. What they plan on doing about this is beyond me- their solution will probably just be a sheet of plywood thrown over the stairs.)

I am also considering forming some sort of "young homeowner's association" in my neighborhood to combat these problems. There are quite a few young people who've purchased homes in my neighborhood in the past few years, and I'd like to see us all work together to help make the neighborhood a better place. Most of the "problem houses" are rented, and I don't fault the students or lower income residents who live there. It's a landlord problem. I'm discussing how to maybe start such a group with my council person, as well.

I'll be out taking pictures of the ten houses he owns this evening. I'm curious to see exactly what state some of them are in, because most of the pictures on the county assessor's website are three years old.

1 comment:

Pablito said...

What sort of outdoor table? If it's a picnic table in good condition, I'll take care of it. Or, if you know of a picnic table I can take care of, that works too.

p.s. I don't mind jumping fences in the cover of night if needs be.